Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Life

I often find myself thinking about my future. There are so many things I want to accomplish that it can almost be overwhelming. My many ambitions are what keep me going from day to day, and I work hard to reach my goals. The biggest goal I have is to travel the world. I want to see all there is to see and learn more than I ever thought I could. No matter how my life turns out, I am determined to do this.

In case it’s not obvious, I have always been a planner…I really can’t help it. I already have the next 3 or 4 years of my life pretty much planned out. But no matter how much I plan, I cannot control the future; this is precisely what makes it so exciting. The unpredictability is exhilarating…and a little scary. At any moment, my life could change forever; whether it is for better or for worse, there is no way to tell. For this reason, it is important to appreciate every moment for what it is. I try to live my life with no regrets. I do believe that everything happens for a reason. There is no point in dwelling on some mistake from my past; it’s over and cannot be undone. Instead, I learn from my mistakes, cherish the good times I’ve had, and dream about what the future may hold.

Although it is difficult at times, I try to always be optimistic. I strive to find happiness in everything I do. After all, happiness is not something to be found; it is something to be created. Sadness, however, is often unavoidable. I found a quote once by a guy named Carl Gustav Jung. I have no idea who that is (or why his name is part German, part Chinese), but I like what he said (or wrote? I really don’t know). Here it is:

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.


His words are so true. If we never suffered grief, heartbreak, remorse, etc., happiness would be completely meaningless. Life is never without obstacles, but it is our responsibility to overcome them and find the pleasure that awaits on the other side.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

dude, Jung is totally a psychologist, no wonder he's got it figured out :)

p.s. you should read The Alchemist by Cohelo immediately.

Jaime said...

that's so funny b/c we just talked about him in psychology the other day